Saturday, December 8, 2012

Oh fuck I'm 22

I never really loved the ideas of my birthday. Call me a cynic (many people do) but there's nothing that inherently changes once it hits that certain date every year. I love other people's birthdays because giving presents is fun for me but for some reason I feel this unnecessary pressure that something fun needs to occur every time it hits. Now of course I understand certain milestones in one's life, 16, 17, 21, etc, but there is some point where birthdays reach a level of diminishing returns. It does seem odd when I think about how quickly this past year has gone by though. This time last year was kind of a strange time in my life mentally and emotionally.

On one hand, I had just gone through a breakup that might have been one of the most mentally taxing experiences of my life. It was made worse by the fact that it wasn't really facilitated by much other than us simply falling out of love with each other. By nature, this made it much more difficult to deal with than if either one of us had horribly wronged the other. Of course I was blind to this at the time but no one sees clearly in these situations. On the other hand, I had just been offered a full-time job right out of college. I doubt there are very many things better than being grossly overpaid for actually doing something you like so there really wasn't anything I could complain about on that end. But looking back, I've had a really good year. My friends are awesome, my life is good, but I'm kinda worried that someone is gonna find out I'm not really all that smart and the wave function of my life will collapse.

So here's to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment